Our Family Connections volunteers chat with families on the telephone. Providing reassurance, care, support, and basic signposting – it’s a virtual cup of tea. It helps them to feel welcomed with love, manage expectations, ask questions and understand the next steps.
“At the time when I came to you I was really struggling. I had applied for Universal Credit and not received it yet. I was asking friends to loan me money because I had nothing. You guys were the difference between me not having anything and actually being able to feed my family.”
Who is Little Village?
We are London’s biggest Baby Bank, helping over 7000 children per year. With love, we collect donations of pre-loved items to share with children living in poverty.
Volunteers are at the heart of Little Village and essential to everything we do. From supporting families face to face or on the ‘phone to sorting donations or delivering gifts.
At Little Village, you’ll meet local like-minded people, use your skills, and have fun. Most importantly, you’ll make a real and immediate difference to families facing tough times.
What will I do?
· Review details of families, who are referred to Little Village for support
· Phone families to talk through their referral and understand their situation
· Share insight into essential items needed for young children
· Follow-up with families who have received gifts from Little Village
· Share information of local activities or services which might be helpful
· Listen out for areas of additional support or concern and share with the team
· Respond with kindness and empathy in emotionally sensitive conversations
· Act in a non-judgmental, inclusive and loving way
What do I need for this role?
· A quiet space, a phone and laptop
· Experience of logging information accurately on a database
· Ability to build trust and rapport quickly
· Compassionate communication and active listening skills
· Resilience in challenging or upsetting situations
What’s in it for me?
· Induction and regular training, including safeguarding training
· Written references on request
· Unique insight into child poverty in the UK and not-for-profit sector
· A DBS check paid for by Little Village
You must sign in to apply for this position.